John Benik wrote:

Now that I am at a new company and we have finally insourced our
production system I have a question on how we set esoterics.  I was always
under the impression that we could use SMS and set the esoterics.  Here is
an example of what's currently in the Dataclass ACS routines.
FILTLIST TAPE90   INCLUDE('3490','TAPE90','TAPE3')

As an example somebody called and needed the tape3 esoteric defined we
made a dynamic HCD change for tape3.  Couldn't I have accomplished the
same thing with something like this?

If &unit = 'Tape3'
 set &unit = 'TAPE90'
coding this above the filter list.  This filter is in both the data class
and storage class routines.

IMHO you cannot set value of any variable except one (specific to the routine, i.e. &DATACLAS in data class ACS routine).
So, SET &UNIT ... is not proper syntax.
It is not needed syntax at all: FILTLIST does the work.
User can provide any of three values listed, but you check only 'TAPE90' list. BTW: Probably it's working syntax, but could be misleading: TAPE90 is both name of the list and list element.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland