This is a vauge email about our experiences with z/OS 1.7 and system
performance, but I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light and
assist with a strange issue we have had.  I have searched IBM support and
found nothing to assist me.

The timeline is that we upgraded our production system to z/OS 1.7 on
January 30th.  We also have CICS TS 1.3 (to be upgraded soon) and IDMS and
ADABAS running on this system.  Soon after the upgrade we began to see
response time issues.  Normally our main CICS and IDMS online applications
get 99% of their transactions finish in less than 2 secs, but after z/OS
1.7 went in, this number went down to around 92%.  Average response time
went from .10 seconds to .37 seconds.

We left the operating system in and tried to resolve this as an application
issue with very little improvements being seen for various applications
changes, so management finally forced a backout back to z/OS 1.6 late last
week.  Once the backout occurred, response time immediatly returned to the
pre-z/OS 1.7 levels.

I know this is a vague email, but has anyone else seen anything like this
with z/OS 1.7?  Also, we did not really see a spike in TSO response time,
so it seemed to be CICS and IDMS related.  I was just wondering if there
was some major change in VTAM or TCP/IP code that could have affected back
level online applications like our IDMS (release 16.) and CICS TS (release
1.3)?  As I said, I have searched the archives and the CICS, IDMS, and z/OS
1.7 fix databases and found nothing that seemed to be a direct match.

Also, this problem does not seem to occur on our test system, as we have
tried to recreate it there.  So we are also suspicious of it being load
related.

Thanks for anyone that can help.

Todd Burrell