On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:11:11 -0600, Mark Zelden wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:40:59 -0600, Matthew Stitt wrote:
>
>>I've had as many as 18 datasets so far.  The names are not critical, just
>>how they are listed in the SMFPRMxx member.  I list them as one dataset
>name
>>per line.
>>

>The number is forty-two.   :-)
>
>It is not documented anywhere.  I checked init & tuning (as did the
>original poster), data set definition, the SMF manual, and
>Q&A on ibmlink.  Zilch....

Zilch but not quite zero.  z/OS 1.7 Init and Tuning documents that the
SMFPRMxx member is limited to 897 lines and that more than that will result
in defaults being taken.  (As it is written it implies that defaults will
be taken for all of the values in SMFPRMxx, but I wonder about that.)

So depending on how many SMF datasets you can pack per line (which is
largely determined by the dsname length of each) you can compute a maximum
value.  Whether the underlying software supports that maximum value is
another question.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI