... what would be a good place to start with his self study?

I've been "around" cobol (ok, COBOL) for years, and some of the cobol today
looks a lot different than the cobol of the early '80s.

I see on IBM's web site Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3R4, so I'm guessing this
is the latest and greatest.

I would like to write on z/OS, and run on z/OS, but in doing so, I want to
be able port what knowledge I do gain to Windows as well.  I've written OO
code before, so I'm not opposed to jumping into OO COBOL with both feet if
that's the best approach.

I'm interested in both "batch" processes and interactive.  Is there a common
GUI interface?  When coding on z/OS, should I set my sights on only using
USS?

My objectives of this code will be to exercise DB2 on z/OS, from near (z/OS)
and afar (Windows).  Utilmately, I would like to run the same application on
both (either) z/OS or Windows.  Am I shooting too far?

Or, am I barking up the wrong "language" tree, and need to be using Java or
C++ instead?

Thanks, Todd