>>Please let us all know how the IT budget is doing in about a year.  It'd

>>be interesting to know what the budget was in the year pre-project and
in
>>the year post-project (for an apples-to-apples comparison, if that's
>>possible).
>In this case, if they have done the job right, the IT budget should
>show a reduction in expenditure since the work has been consolidated
>into an existing system.

That's not apples-to-apples.  That's why I used the term "pre-project," as
in, before the distributed SAP systems even existed.  That's the
apples-to-apples comparison.

Sounds like a moot issue, though, since the original poster won't be able
to provide such data to satisfy my curiosity. :-(

I do know there are some all-mainframe SAP implementations with documented
record low total costs -- and very happy customers.  Baldor Electric is
one with such hard data.  They focus on total IT costs as a percentage of
company sales, and they're more efficient than peers.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]