We planning to migrate our os/390 2.7 system to z/os v1.7.
Since there is no coexistence and fallback ptf available for this
migration. We would like to know what is the best way to migrate
the user catalogs to the new system.

Currently we are planning to do this.

Mastcat1 (os390 2.7)            mastcat2(zosv17)
             !                                    !
 Usercat1 (os390 2.7)             Usercat2 (zosv17)
            |                                     |
             |---------volume1----------------

Instead of doing an IMPORT CONNECT of USERCAT1(os390 2.7) to MASTCAT2(zosv17),
We are planning to create new user catalogs in the zos v17 system and do
an export of usercat1 and then import it into usercat2. Both catalogs would have
pointers to the datasets in volume1.

prior to this, we will do the standard checking of catalogs. VERIFY, EXAMINE, DIAGNOSE.

Do you think this is a safe way to migrate the catalogs to the zosv17.

Are there any hitches that we need to consider.

Is there a better way of doing this ?

Thanks.

Caleb

P.S. If there are other sites who have migrated from very old system to the new zos without coexistence and fallback support. It would be great if you could share your experiences with us.

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.com/