In a recent note, Mark Zelden said:

> Date:         Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:34:52 -0600
>
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:41:56 -0700, Paul Gilmartin <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hmmm.  Clearly I work in a development environment, not a
> >production environment, so I'm curious about protocols.
> >
> >What's a "job scheduler"  Is it made of silicon or carbon?
>
> I meant job scheduling software. Are you nit picking, or did
> you really not know what I was referring to?
>
> And yes, all production jobs usually are scheduled through the
> software.  Of course rules are made to be broken and there are

We might have something like that around for testing.  I've
never used it; I don't know anyone in my department who has.
Perhaps some of our testers.

> always exceptions.  We have some "end users" that submit jobs
> that are considered production.  Obviously they don't get the
> benefit of job scheduling software to automatically check return
> codes etc. and kick off subsequent jobs.  But we do have ThruPut

Sounds like checking return codes and kicking off subsequent
jobs is quite what the OP required.  (Also checking return codes
of the subsequent jobs and notifying affected individuals of
exceptions.  But I'd hope that goes without saying for scheduling
software.)  So if he has scheduling software available he should
employ it; if not, submit via INTRDR.

But, as transpired earlier in this thread, the obstacles are
almost entirely artificial and bureaucratic.  The solution is
clear; it's merely no one's duty to implement it.

> Manager that "emulates" the Mellon Bank JES2 mods that include
> /*BEFORE and /*AFTER, and people do make use of that.

Is this JES2-wannabe-JES3?

Thanks,
gil
--