[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Mason) writes:
> Something else that came to mind was a comparison of the text markup
> "languages" GML and SCRIPT since GML is created from SCRIPT using
> the SCRIPT macro function - if my memory serves me well.

stu did the original script for cms at the science center... using
runoff-like dot-commands
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

one of the earliest documents (besides cp67/cms documentation) that was
moved to script processing was principles of operation. script
conditionals were used to maintain a single copy for two different
versions. the "full" version was referred to as the "architecture red
book" (distributed in red 3-ring binders). the subset version was the
principles of operation and didn't contain all the architecture notes,
engineering notes, notes justifying the instruction, etc. you used
conditional on the cms script command line to control which version was
produced. I have some vague recollection of some POPs being printed off
a 1403 master ... where the diagram and other box vertical lines weren't
continuous (you could get a 1403tn train that was capable of producing
solid vertical lines).

then "G", "M", & "L" invented gml at the science center (gml selected
because it was their initials ... then had to come up with "Generalized
Markup Language" to go along with their initials). gml processing was
then added to the cms script command.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#sgml

later gml was standardized as sgml ... and waterloo did a enhanced
version of the cms script command. there is story about how html was
created off stuff done with the waterloo enhanced script command.
http://infomesh.net/html/history/early/

at cern ... cern and slac were sister organizations and big vm shops ...
there is the old story circa 1974 about the cern tso/cms bakeoff report
at share ... and internally. copies were classified "confidential -
restricted", available on a need-to-know basis only (attempting to
restrict information internally on how bad tso comparison was).

slac put up the first webserver in the us.
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/history/earlyweb/history.shtml