Richard,

The "variation of FTP" could be AFTP and the "desktop", by which I assume
you mean a PC, product could be the AFTP client for whichever operating
system the PC runs. However, AFTP would be "spawning" an AFTP server
transaction program on the mainframe which would be an APPC/MVS address
space and, if so, you will be able to find a "transaction program profile"
for AFTP.

I quote from the  z/OS V1R2.0-V1R7.0 Communications Server APPC Application
Suite Administration manual:

<quote>

3.2.5 Task 5 - Add a Transaction Program Profile for the AFTP Server

A transaction program (TP) profile must be added for the AFTP server
(AFTPD). The TP profile defines AFTPD to APPC/MVS as a standard transaction
program, and enables the APPC/MVS transaction scheduler to schedule the
AFTPD transaction program when an inbound allocation request is received.

</quote>

You'll be able to find this manual on the Communications Server "bookshelf".

Oh, I guess I should mention that there has to be SNA connectivity between
the client and the server which could, I suppose, be Enterprise Extender or
AnyNet SNA over IP or even be using DLSw if you thought the only protocol
available between these "users/programmers" and the mainframe was IP.

Chris Mason