This thread has begun with a PPRCopy question. I am not sure if this two
parts of Bruce' mails (not to cite John and Ron) talk about PPRC (Truecopy)
or Flashcopy (Shadowimage). I wasn't able to see any of these features in
our z/OS 1.7 PPRC environment using HDS 9980.

<----- snip ----->
You don't need to lose the relationship to do the backup.  You probably
want to backup a point-in-time copy of the volumes, so you can just
SUSPEND the PPRC relationship.  This freezes the copy and makes it
read/write so you can relabel (CLIP) it.  After the backup, you can
RESYNC the PPRC copy, which just copies tracks updated since the SUSPEND.
<----- snip ----->

Supposing we do it in a z/OS 1.7 system I don't understand how is it
possible to clip the secondary volume. I get the info about the device being
a PPRC secondary device. Even if I take the primary volume offline, I get
the same kind of message if I try to take the secondary volume online.

Bruce wrote:
I believe that RESYNC will copy any tracks which have been modified on
the source OR target.

The other thing that I don't understand:
To be able to write on the secondary volume, I suppose I have to use
CDELPAIR or at least CRECOVER. If I use CDELPAIR, I can not RESYNC anymore.
If I use CRECOVER the secondary volume switches in the SIMPLEX status, so
how comes its bitmap is updated?

Zaromil