In a recent note, "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" said:

> Date:         Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:48:58 -0500
>
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 03/14/2006
>    at 03:08 PM, Paul Gilmartin <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
> >I know, but it could also be cabled to a 70* computer and used as a
> >printer and card reader, in which case it could read only 72 columns
> >of each card.
>
> There was certainly a 716[1] printer for the 7090 using a box similar
> to a 407, but it was strictly[2] a printer. The 7090 used a separate
> 711[1] unit for a card reader.

I may well stand corrected on the device type.  However I
have a distinct memory of colleagues at one 7090 installation
submitting jobs with the notation to the operator: "80 column
data; do not read job online!" meaning that the operator must
submit the job via the 1401/1402 rather than the 7xx.

The essence arose from 36-bit words and row binary converted to
characters in software.

> >In contrast, the PDP-6 stored five characters per word,
>
> The PDP-6 also stored 6 characters per word.

Agreed.  Symptomatic of a very late design decision.  I
conjecture they recognized the need for 7-bit ASCII too
late to redesign the OS programming interface.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL