The original poster signaled that they had a parallel sysplex which to
me implies he already has an ETR. I must admit I forgot about those
shops running on a single footprint with no ETR.

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 09:10 -0600, Eric Chevalier wrote:
> That's certainly a viable solution, but...
>
> In some environments, running the NTP server on the mainframe will do a
> very good job of keeping all your other systems consistent...consistently
> wrong. I can't speak to STP, since I know very little about this new
> feature. But traditionally, synchronizing a mainframe environment to an
> external time source such as NIST or GPS requires an ETR[1]. I don't know
> what the current price of that device runs, but I've seen figures as high
> as $35K bandied about in this list for what is essentially a glorified PC.
>
> What's your response to the CIO after you've requested an ETR and he/she
> replies along the lines of: "You want me to spend $xxx for something that
> every other system in my shop can do for free???!!!"
>
> Eric
>
> [1] IIRC, the Sysplex Timer does *not*, by itself, synch to an external
> time source. It merely keeps the TOD clock in all systems in the plex
> synchronized.
>
> --
> Eric Chevalier                          E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                                            Web: www.tulsagrammer.com
>     Is that call really worth your child's life?  HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Jerry Whitteridge
Safeway Inc.
(925) 951 4184

"MMS <safeway.com>" made the following annotations.
Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the Safeway corporate
e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain information proprietary to Safeway and is
intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have
received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately.