In a recent note, Ray Mullins said:

> Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:59:12 -0800
>
> VSAM.  Aaaaah!  *turns and runs away*

It wouldn't need to be bad if the designers did it right.

> You'll need a RECAT to force cataloging of all the renamed components in the
> right catalog.  (That's why RENUNC(*) is recommended.)
>
> As far as volumes...it's been so long since I've done a restore of a VSAM
> data set, and that was not in an SMS environment - so hardcoding of volumes
> was required (OUTDY(volser,unit)).  SMS might help here, but I'll have to
> defer to others.

I took all the defaults; Did RENAME (which feels safer than RENAMEU),
supplied no VOLSER information; supplied CATALOG, not RECAT; in short
leapt without looking except to see there was nothing in the prefix.

Apparently SMS did its thing.  The data sets were restored,
renamed, and catalogued.  ISPF panels show the restored CSI
contents OK.

Now I'm faced with the tedious task of updating all the DDDEFs.
The book will tell me how much help SMP/E will give me here.

Thanks again,
gil
--
StorageTek