> What is the gain or the advantage of using ECS.

>From an old redbook (Enhanced Catalog Sharing and Management, SG24-5594-00,
July 1999):

---
When CAS opens an eligible catalog and the system is in catalog sharing
mode, as described in "Activating ECS" on page 18, the integrity VVR is
copied into the Coupling Facility structure. Once this occurs, the systems
that share the catalog do not have to read the VVR to detect change, as they
will receive notification from the Coupling Facility. Also, the requirement
to ENQ on the resource is removed because the Coupling Facility architecture
incorporates the necessary locking.
---

and

---
This is an elegant solution to the performance issues. The elapsed time is
reduced because GRS is no longer used, and the number of I/Os is reduced
because the VVR does not have to be read. Also, the new function fits
smoothly alongside the existing reliable and robust code, which will still
be used for non-ECS catalogs. Non-ECS catalogs are now described as being in
VVDS mode, which indicates that the VVR is being read from the VVDS.

In the rare circumstance of a connectivity or Coupling Facility structure
failure, the ECS catalogs will revert to VVDS mode, allowing the integrity
of the catalogs to be maintained across such a failure.
---

Zaromil