On Mar 20, 2006, at 11:39 PM, Ron and Jenny Hawkins wrote:

Ed,

Agreed, and that is why SMF records are your second best friend :)

Its always easy to sit back and spend the copious amounts of time researching for this stuff. I have never had the luxury of having the time. Sure some amount of research is needed but to spin through a years worth of SMF tapes was a luxury I did not have. I found if I knew a conversion was eminent (1-2 months) I would issue a memo and if they didn't correct the data sets I would move them anyway.

Sure IDMS wouldn't correctly come up but I had CYA'd myself. The people knew I didn't send out these memo's unless it was A. going to happen and B. The problem would be their problem if the files weren't correctly identified and fixed before hand. C. The next time they would have to be in at 3AM with me to hand hold their special data sets.

That stopped a lot of griping and finger pointing.

Ed