Tuvia,

Expanding on Marks post, it seems you have two options for providing a time
synchronization server from your z/OS CS IP system.

The CS IP Customization Guide (the V1R7.0 edition, SC31-8775-07) describes
in section 2.16, "Chapter 24", the TIMED daemon - the "time synchronization
function" which uses port 37 and is defined in RFC 868, "Time Protocol" -
and in section 2.17, "Chapter 25", the SNTPD daemon - the "time
synchronization function" which uses port 123 and is defined in RFC 2030,
"Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4 for IPv4, IPv6 and OSI".

Incidentally, both these servers use UDP rather than TCP - I know I'm being
finicky :-) According to RFC 868, TCP is allowed for this "time
synchronization function" but TIMED uses only UDP.

You need to match a suitable client program to run automatically, in some
way, on the other machines in your installation in order to maintain as
consistent a time as possible.

I deliberately said "other machines" rather than just "other servers" since
you might like to consider synchronizing your client machines as well.

All of which gives me the excuse to mention that one of the first issues I
sorted out with my home PC (Windows NT) was to ensure that my clock was
adjusted to the correct time from an external time source. So I scoured web
pages for a suitable clever free program.

I considered that the distance from my system to the source might matter
ever so slightly and, since I reside in Belgium, the closest SNTP server
that didn't mind the use by "hoi polloi" initially was in Amsterdam.
Unfortunately that stopped working - why I don't know - so I changed to a
server in Erlangen, Germany.

Originally I did check Belgian sources, specifically the Royal Observatory
in Uccle, Brussels - very close to where my daughter went to school each
day, in fact. However the time service offered by the Observatory needed to
be accessed via a telephone dial-up and the protocol was based on an ASCII
string.

I thought I should strive for accuracy in my post so I checked and - what do
you know? - on or about April 3rd 2003 (according to the Windows XP example
page), the Observatory/Observatoire/Sterrenwacht put together an SNTP server
for general use - so that's now been configured as my time source.

Thanks for prompting me to discover the time source I always wanted :-)

Incidentally my free time program is "Dimension 4" which can be found at
www.thinkman.com . Note that Windows XP has a "built-in" SNTP client in
"Date/Time Properties".

Chris Mason