Jay Howard wrote:
>Being the original poster, we currently do partner with a company for our

>DR needs. We are looking for ways that we can reduce our DR costs and
>FLEX-ES is one of the options that we are investing.

I think we've got two separate concepts running through this thread, so
here's an attempt to clarify.

There are DR companies -- Sungard and IBM BRS are good examples -- that
sell DR contracts of various kinds. I'm going to disagree with the
implication that these contracts are "worthless" because of "first in"
policies. There were several disaster declarations during Hurricane
Katrina, and the DR vendors seemed to do pretty well by all accounts. The
contracts have various SLAs and prices -- basically "first" doesn't mean
"forever" -- and the (good) DR vendors build enough infrastructure and
test regularly with their clients in order to handle even wide area
disasters.

There's also the separate idea of finding a like minded company in order
to strike a one-to-one private partnership along similar lines. In the era
of Capacity On Demand that's quite reasonable for mainframes, so I don't
really share the concern about lack of production capacity at your
partner's site with a disaster declaration. (All bets are off for other
platforms.) If the disaster affects both companies simultaneously then
that's bad, so you'll probably want to pick a DR partner that's "close but
not too close."

In many cases striking a private partnership is not a direct cost item.
(You still have the costs associated with preparation and testing, but
that's always true unless you plan on not having any DR strategy.) So I'm
not sure what you mean by "reducing our DR costs," because I'm thinking
"zero" here. It's a straight up trade: I'll let you use our production
system (spin up an LPAR/COD) if you have a disaster if you'll agree to the
same for me. I'm sure there's a reasonably comparable mainframe shop
elsewhere in Georgia.

Many companies opt for multiple DR arrangements concurrently. Some simply
need their own GDPS. I know of an insurance company that understands it
would have to declare bankruptcy if there was a system outage lasting more
than 60 minutes. There are probably several companies with even less
tolerance for outage.

Either of these arrangements (DR vendor or private DR partner) is better
than nothing. Better than nothing may be sufficient. Nothing is what an
awful lot of companies have right now, and (prediction) some of them will
effectively go out of business when disaster strikes.

Do note that controlling DR costs is what mainframes do exceptionally
well, so cost context is important here. Building and testing DR
infrastructure with other platforms can be brutally expensive, and what
you end up with isn't as capable anyway. A big part of the reason is
Capacity On Demand, but it's not the only reason. In fact, I can imagine
many cases (Linux and J2EE especially) in which mainframes should act as
the DR systems even if the primary production systems are not mainframes.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]