>1) The growing market for Solid State Disk (SSD) prior to the 3880-13 - HDS,
EMC and STK (Amdahl?) were all shipping these boxes, and AFAIK at enormous
margins.

While I don't remember the exact timing Amdahl's was the 6110 SSD.
It, at least, wasn't the fiasco the 6100 Storage Processor was.

We beta'd one of those, and our biggest complaint was:
"If you see an IDCAMS CCW, interpret it!"

We had a mixture of disk, and we wanted to use standard controls.
It was all well and good that the control unit was 'smarter', but we wanted
standard first; extended function later.

Is Amdahl still around?

The last I heard was a few years ago, when they called my boss to try and make
a sale.
He found out they no longer had any office near Toronto, and was actually
calling from Sunnydale California.
My boss said forget it, he wasn't going to deal with a hardware vendor that
didn't even care enough to have a local office.

-
-teD

I’m an enthusiastic proselytiser of the universal panacea I believe in!