George Dranes wrote:
We are in the process of installing z/OS 1.7 and I've had a couple of
questions pop up.  We have always used the default codepage 047c with
previous operating systems without issue but one of our application
programmers wondered whether we should be using 1140 which is asma0474.  I
know its no problem to change the option for future assembles but I was
wondering if I should have changed the codepage before applying the initial
z/OS maintenance after installing assuming there were some assembles
involved.  I'm assuming IBM assembled the initial modules that came off the
cartridges with the default codepage of 047c though I'm not for sure.  I
guess my question is will this cause me problems down the road and should I
reinstall z/OS 1.7, change to codepage 1140, and then apply maintenance or
am I being overly concerned about nothing???   Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt seriously that any Unicode character data constants (CU-type DCs) are being generated within any IBM-distributed, source-maintained, assembler language products. Even if they are, the differences between code pages 1140 and 1148 are almost nil.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc