Ed wrote:

Hi

I still have channel attached local 3174s. I want to move my operators to
a remote location. The remote site has no dedicated comms links to the CPU
site.
Thinking about some sort of escon attached controller with consoles
attached over IP with VPN.
Appreciate it if someone out there could put down in a couple of lines,
how they went about it.

You think about probably most expensive and least functional solution.

What's your CPC model ?

z/990, z/890 and z9 allows you to use OSA-ICC consoles. Consoles are emulator sessions on PC's connected to OSA port using ethernet and TCP/IP. Flexible link options. Cost: free OSA port. OSA list price is $20k.

VTAM SMCS consoles - any machine, however this console requires VTAM to be up and ready, to they are useless during IPL. If you accept it, you can use HMC system console ("operating system messages") for IPL. Inconvenient but free. Link options as in OSA-ICC

2074 or VISARA. Any CPC machine. Requires ESCON port. Cost is link (much higher than regular TCP/IP connection) and the device. 2074 is about $35k.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland