Way back in the days of SLED and early implementation of SMS, we had
our catalogs in SMS. We lost an HDA and went through the SMS/HSM
recover. It was a painful and error ridden experience.
  It took me a good week of manual clean-up to fix as best I could. I
moved the catalogs to non-SMS as quickly as possible and I'm unlikely to
ever consider SMS/HSM managed catalogs again.

Dave Gibney                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System Programmer                        (509) 335-7359
Information Technology
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-1222