Tim,

Don't worry. You are among friends here who generally bridle at being forced
to call out beloved VTAM by some foreign name and perhaps there are some who
bridle even more at the forced cohabitation - but at least the bed (if you
regard the I/O logic as the bed) is made of robust materials and has a
dependable pedigree.

Come to think of it there may be some Micro$oft folk who can't get used to
their beloved SNA Server wearing different clothes.

I always feel that this name changing is to disguise the guilty and confuse
the innocent, perhaps not always without cause.

As Ed Rabera - almost - says you should subscribe to the IBMTCP-L list -
send
sub IBMTCP-L <your name>
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is the group/list for the IP side of Communication Server and, hence,
Enterprise Extender. It can also, out of frustration over the unavailability
of a similar group/list, be the place for purely VTAM issues. However, as
you have already worked out, if it's anything to do with IBM 360 successor
systems, hardware or software, IBM-MAIN collects it - and many in attendance
are themselves IBM 360 successor people <g>.

Here's the documentation you should use:

A redbook, maybe the one you already know:

"Migrating Subarea Networks to an IP Infrastructure Using Enterprise
Extender"

Three presentations:

"z/OS CS Enterprise Extender Hints and Tips"
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27006650&aid=1

"Understanding Enterprise Extender, Part 1 - Concepts and Considerations"
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27006667&aid=1

"Understanding Enterprise Extender, Part 2 - Nuts and Bolts"
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27006668&aid=1

There are a couple of relevant threads running currently on IBMTCP-L: "EE
Activation steps" and "Anyone convert their SNI Connection with
AGNS/Advantis over to EE yet?". You should check the IBMTCP-L archive,
http://vm.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?IBMTCP-L , or use, for example, Google
groups, to review past post threads.

If the redbook to which you are referring is the one about Enterprise
Extender as referenced above, this is still the only one - as far as I know.
However, the way you described it put me in mind of a document - I'm not
sure it was a redbook - which covered every known way to implement APPC,
that is, it covered the intricacies of he definition process on every known
platform.

I'm sure Pat forgot to add a <g> or the smiley characters to his final
sentence. <g>

There's no reason why you shouldn't use the IBM newsgroups - Pat does - a
lot. The great advantage is that they have the developers in attendance -
well, one very conscientious one anyhow who can activate others as required.
The starting point is
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2192&context=SSRRLB&dc=D700&uid=swg27005100&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Regarding terminology: VTAM developers are their own worst enemies when it
comes to misuse of terminology. Unfortunately, at an early stage in SNA
networking evolution when the PU statement was no longer directly associated
with the SNA PU entity but with the adjacent link station, the opportunity
was missed to change the initials from PU to, say, ALS. This should have
happened at the time multiple links between NCPs was introduced. Thus we now
have the ridiculous situation with Enterprise Extender where the term PU
keeps appearing in a variety of contexts when it usually represents the
end-point of a logical link of some sort. Whenever you see PU mentioned
think first that it represents an adjacent link station, then possibly a
whole node and lastly it might actually refer to the SNA PU entity.

Finally, I Googled (HIS "Enterprise Extender") in order to see what help
might be available for HIS and IP-DLC. Hm, I had already downloaded
"Configuring IP-DLC Link Service for IBM Enterprise Extender"[1] a couple of
months ago. I notice the document contains a lot about VTAM and TCP/IP for
MVS (as Communication Server IP used to be known before the merger). You
should apply the usual rule that, if a document tries to tell you technical
things about someone else's product, you should treat it with extreme
scepticism. Paying attention to this rule avoids masses of wasted time.

It might be useful to ask questions with reference to this document when it
concerns HIS IP-DLC matters since it seems to cover each of the
configuration panels.

Chris Mason

[1]
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f/f/affdc2aa-63ca-48c7-9431-c50736f24236/configuring%20ip-dlc%20link%20service%20for%20ibm%20enterprise%20extender.doc