In a message dated 3/28/2006 2:52:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>In a multiple CPU environment, z/OS normally only has a single  engine
>enabled for I/O interrupts. I think this is because the IOS  supervisor
>does a TPI instruction which will test for pending  interrupts. If the
>interrupts were enabled on a second engine, it would  have fielded the
>interrupt which was pended. The use of TPI increases  the effiency of the
>I/O processing due to decrease I/O interrupts and  their overhead.
A multi-processing z/OS starts out with one CPU enabled for I/O  interrupts.
As interrupts occur, IOS accumulates a count of all  interrupts processing by
switching PSWs  When IOS is about to redispatch  the interrupted work, it
tests for one or more interrupts pending in the  channel subsystem by executing
the TPI instruction.  If an interrupt is  processed because of the TPI, IOS
adds one to the TPI-fielded bucket instead  of the processor-interrupted
buciet.
TPI allows IOS to continue  processing I/O interrupts without having to
restore the interrupted work's  status, enable, and then immediately switch
PSWs
again, save status, and start  processing the interrupt that was pending.  This
is more efficient than  always reenabling and redispatching.  SRM periodically
computes the  TPI-fielded % of interrupts from the two buckets mentioned
above and checks  that against CPENABLE percentages to decide if it is time to
pick another CPU  and change its system mask to where it can also be
interrupted
with I/O  interrupts.  This will reduce the I/O interrupt elongation factor,
but at  the cost of slowing down the work that is on the CPU newly enabled for
interrupts.  Whenever an interrupt occurs, there is a context switch  between
the working set of TLB entries and high-speed instruction cache of the
interrupted work and that of the new context - IOS.  This means that the  CPU
slows
down a little every time an interrupt occurs, when interrupted  work is
redispatched, or whenever the dispatcher first dispatches a different  work
unit
for any reason.

Bill  Fairchild