Dave Cartwright wrote:
> I'm with Jim on this. I was a contractor in the mid to late '90's
> and came across the early TCPIP stack, written in PASCAL and ported
> from VM. As I recall it performed OK, and had some quite advanced
> features like VIPA which was the subject of another recent
> thread. The Cisco man at the scottish bank I worked was quite
> impressed.

the base pascal/vs implementation on vm used approx. 3090 processor
getting 44kbytes/sec thruput.

i added rfc 1044 support to the base ... and in some tuning at cray
research was getting sustained 1mbyte/sec between a 4341-clone and a
cray ... using only modest amount of the 4341-clone cpu (around
25 times the data rate for a small fraction of cpu).

misc. past posts mentioning adding rfc 1044 support to
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

slight drift ... my rfc index
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

other posts on high-speed data transport project
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#hsdt

we were operating a high-speed backbone ... but were not allowed to
actually bid on nsfnet1 (original internet backbone) ... however, we
did get an technical audit by NSF that said what we had running was at
least five years ahead of all nsfnet1 bid submissions.

i was asked to be the red team for nsfnet2 bid ... there were something
like 20 people from seven labs around the world that were the blue team
(although only the blue team proposal was actually allowed to be
submitted). minor past refs:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#37a Internet and/or ARPANET?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#77 Is Al Gore The Father of the
Internet?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003c.html#46 diffence between itanium and alpha
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004g.html#12 network history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#1 Xah Lee's Unixism
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005d.html#13 Cerf and Kahn receive Turing award
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005u.html#53 OSI model and an interview
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006e.html#38 The Pankian Metaphor

part of old reference from 1988 (although not of the added rfc 1044
support)

TITLE IBM TCP/IP FOR VM (TM) RELEASE 1 MODIFICATION LEVEL 2 WITH
ADDITIONAL FUNCTION AND NEW NETWORK FILE SYSTEM FEATURE

ABSTRACT IBM announces Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP) for VM (5798-FAL) Release 1 Modification Level 2.  Release
1.2 contains functional enhancements and a new optional Network File
System (NFS) (1) feature.  VM systems with the NFS feature installed
may act as a file server for AIX (TM) 2.2, UNIX (2) and other systems
with the NFS 3.2 client function installed.  Additional functional
enhancements in Release 1.2 include: support for 9370 X.25
Communications Subsystem, X Window System (3) client function, the
ability to use an SNA network to link two TCP/IP networks, and a
remote execution daemon (server).