Hello to the list,

Over the last couple of days I have experienced S0F4 abends on two separate
PDSE, which are used for similar purposes.

Diagnostic information and the DFSMSdfp Diagnostic Reference manual indicate
Logical File Structure, Return Code 20. The Reason Code is not in the popular
list but that may not be important at this stage.

The temporary bypass has been to migrate the contents, CICS Command Program
source to PDS rather than PDSE.

The directory appears to be intact, both ISPF 3.4 and IEPTPCH show what I would
expect.

IEBPTPCH of the library fails "Wrong length record"  when it gets to a
particular source member. If I use IEBPTPCH to print the member as a sequential
file, but with BLKSIZE=32760,RECFM=U on SYSUT1, I get the first block of data
and then it falls over ""Wrong length record".

It occurs to me that if PDSE internal structure is re-using the 4K pages then
the contents of a member may not be contiguous as it is in a PDS, and therefore
 some internal chaining is required, and it is likely to be this which is
causing the problem.

My question to the list is; has anybody else experienced this type of problem,
and if yes did that experience include the prospect of user error rather than
system error.

I should add that the system is z/OS 1.6.

Kind regards - Terry

Terry Sambrooks
Director
KMS-IT Limited
228 Abbeydale Road South
Dore
Sheffield
S17 3LA
UK

Tel: +44 (0)114 262 0933
WEB:
www.legac-e.co.uk
www.kmsitltd.co.uk

Reg: England & Wales 3767263 at the above address

All outgoing E-mails are scanned but it remains the recipients responsibility
to ensure that their system is protected from viruses, trojans, worms, and
spy-ware.