In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Hewitt) wrote:

> However, how desparate are you at avoiding an POR...

Since everything seems to be working OK (which surprises me a little),
not really desperate.

> As I said how desparate are you..

Not desperate enough to try something which has the risk of really
breaking things.

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ted MacNEIL) wrote:

> Head hung low, and claim "mea culpa"!
> Take the hit, POR.
> And, then if I still have my job, delete all the crap IOCDS's, so it won't
> happen again.

Since things seem to be working,  I think my job is safe unless I make
things worse by trying heroic methods that backfire.  Another POR seems
to be the best solution, since right now I'm the only one that knows
anything is broken.  I'll have to fess up to an oops when I ask for the
POR, but that's not a big deal.

> At least one device has to be defined as dynamic, for the IODF to be dynamic.

That's OK.  Everything in our configuration is defined as dynamic that
can be.  The only problem is the discrepancy between the IOCDS and the
IODF, which effectively makes everything not dynamic.

There are a couple of things I guess I don't understand about this
process.  In a normal situation, I have a hardware configuration that
was loaded from an IOCDS at POR, and an IODF that matches it.  Then I
can activate a new IODF which is different from the currently loaded
config, and everything changes.  So if I can change the config on a
running system by activating a different IODF, what's different about
the IPL process?  Why can't it just do whatever activate does to change
the hardware configuration to match the IODF being loaded?

And what configuration am I really running with now?  The one in the
IOCDS, or the one in the active IODF?
--
Matt Simpson --  z/OS Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300