All,

we are currently doing our first steps with C on z/OS (MVS Environment). Now,.... everything is somewhat different than under UNIX or Windows.

For example the call of "fork()" is somewhat strange. In my multithreaded application I can't use fork. I can't use subtasks if I use threads. fork() somehow works, but I can't see the SYSOUT/SYSPRINT of the forked process.

The manual is somehow confusing - .... for me.

Now, I guess everything would become clearer if I would know exactly all the magic of address spaces, processes, thraeds, tasks, subtasks and so on. For example, just a few minutes ago I've read in an IBM manual that there exist single-process address spaces and multiple-process address spaces (never heard about that before). Now.... is is task a process? If I use subtasks - do I use multiple-process address spaces? What is the difference between a subtask and a thread? What is the difference between a job and a started task?

So, there are many many questions I need/want to understand all this stuff better.

Could someone tell me what IBM Manual would be a good choice to start? I've tried POP (Principles of Operation) but this wasn't the right one...

Thank you very much,
Michael