Steve,

I understand your dilemma, but I think you may be seeing just a part of
the picture. I think most companies developed their z/OS infrastructure
applications during the seventies and early eighties, and their cadre of
application developers is not large and shrinking, and that is what you
are seeing.

However, systems software development is strong and getting stronger,
and although I'm certain that there are applications out there that
should be moved off the mainframe platform, there are just as many or
more that are correctly hosted on z/OS.

As you have correctly pointed out, perception is the key. A survey of
ten of the top largest University Computer Science program chair people
last year showed the surprising (maybe not so surprising) revelation
that all of them thought mainframes had gone away in the 1990's. In
reality, most of their financial transactions are done by mainframes,
even if they are blissfully unaware of it. Meanwhile, they churn out
graduates for which there are few or no jobs. Go figure.

IBM is working to turn this perception around, but it is a difficult
job. They have made progress, but they have a long ways to go.

Tom Harper

Exactly. My experiences are that most of the prosepects
we call on tell us they are getting off the mainframe;
even some of the long-time big processing shops are either
trying to position to move off, or they are outsourcing
their mainframe work. Sure there will be some work on
z/OS in the future, but it will be done by a shrinking
core of companies that are kinda' locked in.

But as I've written before, IBM is not winning the hearts
and minds of the people who make the purchase / lease
decisions for IT systems. The mainframe is perceived as
obsolete and stodgy, even if that is not a fair assesment.

As far as "I do not see non z/OS platforms doing what z/OS
is doing in the future", management seems to agree only in
the sense they intend to do their work differently, so there
will be no need for z/OS style work.

I consider myself an optimist; but the z/OS future looks
bleak to me; and you may have seen my earlier post that
I am now looking for other work because I can no longer
support myself doing z/OS appication programmer training.

[If that changes soon, I'll be happy to get back into
it; but I need to make a living!]

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock