Tom Schmidt wrote:

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:30:34 -0400, Warner Mach wrote:

Dear List:
.
We have a vendor program that produces various records at a fixed
blksize. It is necessary to reformat these blocks into smaller
recsize/blksize. We do this with a long set of IEBGENER jobs.

It would appear that 'MVS Batchpipes' would allow us to do these
operations without having to write out the intermediate records that are
read by IEBGENER ... I reviewed the archives but there is not much
information on the latest iteration of Batchpipes (ver 2 rel 1 (?)).

Warner,

I'm not sure if you found the v2r1 Pipeworks publication online or not, but
if you didn't (or if you are curious about its amazing features) you can
find the story here:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/asf1a310.pdf
(That's the Batchpipes OS/390 v2r1 BatchPipeWorks User Guide which is, to
my knowledge, the most recent vintage and is still current.)

What you would (probably) be interested in using would be the various
filter stages as half-pipe fittings, possibly the reblocking filter stages
or perhaps others once you see what is available.  If, for example, you
don't find anything in the existing filter suite that suits your purpose
you can probably write what you need in REXX and use the REXX pipe stage to
drive it inline (intercepting and manipulating output data via the SUBSYS
DD statement).  Chapter 3 introduces the fittings and how you can define
rather complex filters as fittings to address needs such as yours.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI

This is new to me and looks interesting.  But there are questions:

We have (I think) zOS v1.4, and "TSO PIPES" comes back unrecognized. Therefore, how does one find this or determine if it is installed? Is it part of the basic distribution but installed optionally, or is it separately licensed? Is it now "SmartBatch"?

1998 is the most the most recent date I see, which does not suggest that this gets much attention.

Thanks,

Walter Rue