>But you have to have a two-pronged approach. It's nice
>to have the universities offer z/OS-related training,
>but you (IBM) still need to win the hearts and minds
>of young techies and managers back to the values of the
>platform, or they will never select or sustain it.
>
>We've discussed this to death: small to medium shops
>either are getting off their mainframes or never going
>there; large shops continue to enlarge their mainframe
>capacity but are outsourcing their applications development
>and maintenance. [And a number of large shops I know of
>are looking to devise a long term strategy to get off
>the mainframe.]
>
>If you don't grow the z/OS base, it will die; and sooner
>rather than later.

I sympathize with your point.

But, tomorrow's techies/managers are the students in the Universities.
These are the people that will influence the future of the z/OS base
growth/death.  Its hard to convince a shop to go BIG when they don't have
the people to run it.  I don't see an end to the mainframe anytime soon,
possibly a slow very long drawn out death.  Mainframes for big fortune
100/500 are a necessity rather than a choice.  I don't want my bank
account managed by a window/linux system, the RAS/Security is not there.
Additionally, there are many legacy programs that are blackbox and the
time and expertise to rewrite these programs is expensive and again
requires the people to do it.

SMB is a whole different story, I am a developer not a marketer so I
cannot really comment on how to address that kind of problem.

Lets not beat the dead horse... just wanted to comment on the educational
front as I am involved and have a vested interest.

Justin