ABEND40D, ABEND0F9, ... are what you can get running REGION=0M without
any intervention by IEFUSI so your systems programmers are right. This
has been discussed at length before search terms REGION and IEFUSI will
get you tons of hits in the archives.   We use an IEFUSI I updated from
one Mike Loos wrote.

http://www.cbttape.org/ftp/cbt/CBT425.zip

Mine has less code than Mike's did so if you want to secure REGION=0M
then his might be a better starting place.  I just have two modes of
operation REGION=0M gets you maximum that you can get safely with a
buffer reserved above and below otherwise set maximum less buffer below
and a 1G default above.

It will be here file 518 later today probably
http://www.cbttape.org/updates.htm

Mike Loos gave an excellent presentation on IEFUSI at SHARE a few years
back.  Search the archives using REGION=0M or IEFUSI as a keyword and
you will locate numerous discussions of virtual storage management.
Visit the SHARE web site http://www.share.org/ for Mike's foils From
SHARE in Boston - July, 2000.

http://shareweb.share.org/proceedings/sh95/share00s.htm

2891 - Use of the IEFUSI Exit to Limit (or not) Region Size

http://shareweb.share.org/proceedings/sh95/data/S2891A.PDF

http://shareweb.share.org/proceedings/sh95/data/S2891B.PDF

http://www.cbttape.org/ftp/cbt/CBT425.zip

also of interest is Chris Craddock's foils from this Virtual Storage
session last seen in NYC I believe

2829 - z/OS Virtual Storage Mystery Tour

http://ew.share.org/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_New_York/S28
29.pdf

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."