On 4/12/06, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Excuse me?
> List/type/cat displays a file to the STDOUT.
>
> Are you saying that that is an incorrect statement?

Most UNIX comands display their output to STDOUT.  The normal behavior
of "cat" is to print its *output* to STDOUT.  However it's reason
d'etre is indicated by its name, short for catenate.  It's purpose is
to take multiple files and catenate all the input into a single output
stream.  Many people happen to use it to list the contents of single
files, and it works great for that.  I happen to prefer "less" for
simple text file viewing.

Anyway, "cat" was superfluous in the example we are arguing about,
because the output of the previous commands was already destined for
STDOUT.  So using "cat" to read from STDIN and send to STDOUT without
any other modification to the data was completely unnecessary.  Come
to think of it, the whole chain of commands seems contrived and
doesn't result in any useful output that I can discern.