Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> In a recent note, Tim Hare said:
> > If the user is signed on, the message is sent to them, interrupting
> > whatever they're doing. If they're not signed on, I believe it goes
> > nowhere (maybe their LOG file).
> >
> That appears to be an unsolicited message, quite different
> from my case in which a specific session with a known ASID
> has requested a display which should be sent to that session,
> not another.

But as someone else pointed out, the ASID can change between your request
and the TPUTs.

TPUT with ASID (which used to be TJID in MVT days) has long been
problematic. It was clearly conceived for short and simple messages like
"Job Ended" notifications, and breaks down rapidly when used for larger
amounts of output, because there is no feedback or configurable flow control
mechanism.

The JESs don't actually issue TPUT on their own, but rather issue a console
SEND command, which has the mixed blessing that it stores the message until
next logon if it can't be delivered immediately. But that too is not a good
interface for multi-line messages.

Probably some sort of client-server scheme is what's needed. Indeed that's
what we do with TSO commands in our product set; the data is returned
cross-memory, and the TPUTs (well, PUTLINEs actually, so as to honour users'
preferences and also work in batch) are done locally.

Tony H.