Use DYNALLOC Information Retrieval for the DSORG.

From: Thomas David Rivers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Reading Variable record with bad BDW/RDW?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:18:39 -0400

Hi John,

 Yeah... I know the directory portion isn't VB.  But, the program
 doesn't know that.. it "thinks" it's simply been given the name
 of a sequential VB file that it wants to process....

 So - it stumbles blindly into the directory - and *whamo* - gets
 this "bad" data.

 So - I suppose - what's the best way to ask "Hey - is this at
 all a reasonable thing to be trying a VB-read on?"

        - Thanks -
        - Dave Rivers -

McKown, John wrote:

The directory of a PDS is not VB. It is
RECFM=F,LRECL=256,BLKSIZE=256,KEYLEN=8. You can ignore the key, if you
want. You must read all 256 bytes and "deblock" the "logical records"
yourself. They are not compatable with RECFM=VB, but they are "close".
"Close" only counts in horse shoes and nuclear weapons.

I have code, which I got from somewhere, that I can share. I also sure
that there is some available on http://cbttape.org somewhere, but I
don't know where.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com