On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:43:25 +0200 "R.S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

:>So the question could be re-phrased. How much does it cost to collect
:>SMF records, NOT ONLY SMF address space.

I heard that back in Ye Olde Days, that when SMF was created, IBM made the
comment that it used only about 5% of the CPU.

Someone in the back of the room put it into real terms, one hour a day.

Who knows how much collection costs?

But, on the other hand, without the collection - there would not be a good way
to charge back.

:>IMHO easily measureable is cost of storage. Onec upon a time I asked
:>CICS guy why he consumed approx 30 gigabytes previous month and over 480
:>gigabytes current month.
:>It is matter of storage (disk, tape), CPU cycles for SMF address space
:>(almost irrelevant as ther noted), IFASMFDP (irrelevant also), and all
:>the tasks producing the records. The only method I can imagine the cost
:>of CPU is plain comparison of system with and without record collection.
:>Done by application basis (i.e. we switch trace on/off and see the results).

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com