>I am surprised nobody mentioned subcapacity CBU possibility. It was also
>driven by customer demands.

Excellent point. Also Capacity On Demand granularity, including single
day.

I'll add yet another factor: variation in how SMP-tuned our customers'
workloads are. More granularity in capacity settings also means much more
choice within the same engine count. There are now a lot more choices at
each n-way in the 1- to 7-way ranges. Some of this had to do with an
enhancement for customers running several small LPARs, to choose one
example.

For example, if you only look at 3-way configurations, in terms of
approximate percentage capacity increases at each step you see:

base, 47%, 21%, 28%, 18%, 25%, 26%, 18%, 15%, 15%, 12%, 12%, 12%, 12%,
12%, 12%, 12%, 11%, 14%, (23%)

The System z9 EC 3-way full capacity is in parentheses. I've skipped some
of the System z9 EC steps (except for the last one) to stick with the
System z9 BC range. As you can see, even if you're a zealot about holding
a 3-way configuration, these steps are almost all quite small. And that's
very nice indeed, because maybe you have a workload configuration that
you've precisely tuned for a 3-way system.

Here's what the 3-way steps looked like on a z890 (up to a 3-way z990):

same base, 77%, 91%, 25%, 57%, 22%, 74%, (20%)

Not so many steps, and there are some bigger hops even though the maximum
3-way capacity is lower.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]