Kevin,

I assume by "TN3270 TELNET" you are referring to the TN3270 Telnet Server as
documented in Chapter 13 of the z/OS 1.7 CS IP Configuration Reference
manual.[1].

Are there perhaps some undesirable characters present also with the text
asking for the application name? I would expect so.

It's evident from the text asking for a password that you are receiving a
3270 data stream - the initial "5", for example, is the Erase/Write command.
The BIND image which you have presented to TSO has persuaded TSO that you
are using programming/microcode capable of presenting a 3270 data stream
rather than SNA character string (SCS) which is required for basic TELNET
operation - also called "linemode".

The BIND image is obtained from the content of the mode table entry under a
particular mode name. The name of the mode table entry, the mode name, which
is used by default - and there's almost no reason to change it - is
INTERACT, the very first entry in the IBM-supplied mode table which is even
more than a default mode table in that it is automatically considered to be
concatenated after any customized mode table which is defined with the, in
this case, APPL statements representing the secondary LU associated with the
TELNET connection.

In the statements which control the TN3270 Telnet Server in the CS IP
PROFILE (or equivalent if the "stand-alone" version of the server is used),
INTERACT is the mode name specified for use when the TN3270 client specifies
that the "device type" LINEMODE.

According to your post, your TN3270 client has specified LINEMODE and your
NETSTAT output shows mode name INTERACT.

The only conclusion I can reach is that your VTAM folk have managed to
redefine the mode name INTERACT so that TSO imagines it can use a 3270 data
stream when it receives the BIND image defined under mode name INTERACT.

I suggest you get your "network guy", who I imagine is your "VTAM guy" ,and
ask him to sort it out using, to be sure he sees the problem clearly,
NetView Session Monitor trace data.

If the solution is still not clear, please post again preferably with
hexadecimal of the BIND request used for the TSO session which is easily
obtained from NetView Session Monitor.

Chris Mason

[1] This deals with Tony Harminc's point about TN3270 not being appropriate
for LINEMODE. I fell into this trap a little while back and was politely
requested to go and look what the CS IP folk called their old TELNET server
these days.