On Tue, 2 May 2006 16:25:08 -0500, Pommier, Rex R. wrote:

>Right now they're dumb terminals.  However, we have a Z9BC on order and
>when we migrate to it, the consoles will be on PCs.  The problem with
>the windows screen saver lock is that the console output isn't seen
>anymore.  What I'm looking for is the ability to have the console
>messages scrolling, but if the operator needs to do something on the
>console they have to log on to it.  It looks like my only option is to
>set up output-only consoles in the unsecured area and make the operator
>get up and walk into the secured computer room to actually respond to a
>console message.  They're going to hate that but I see no other way to
>keep the consoles secure and yet allow them to see the messages.

I have not yet tried this myself (but I've become interested in it lately) -
- there is such thing as a "transparent screen saver" that sounds like it
might fit what you are looking for.

The version from e-motional.com seems to have the most bells & whistles:
  http://www.e-motional.com/TScreenLock.htm
...including an optional motion sensor for the front of the monitor.  As
long as it detects an operator the screen stays unlocked; once the operator
gets out of range the screen automatically locks (but you can still see
what is on the screen) so keyboard input is prohibited without the screen
saver password.

If you (or anyone) uses it, please post the outcome.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI