In a recent note, Tim Hare said:

> Date:         Wed, 3 May 2006 11:22:34 -0400
>
> Well, since the one  reason I can think of to download a mainframe load
> module is to upload it to a different mainframe, two accounts will be
> needed no matter what, so I think your first point is moot.

Think anonymous FTP.

And the user might have an account, but no be RACF-enabled for
TSO.

Or, the user might want to upload a load module to testcase.boulder.ibm.com
for problem verification.  Last time I looked, testcase was not
a z/OS system, so some sort of store-and-forward is required.

Yah, I know, there's TRSMAIN.  But why burden the user with another
step which could be incorporated (most of the work has already been
done) in the FTP server and/or client.

> I believe, but haven't tried it, that z/OS FTP allows you to specify that
> one FTP server transfer files to a different FTP server, which might help
> in the above scenario.

Understood.  I haven't tried it either.  And it doesn't address the
"testcase" situation where "a different FTP server" is so different
as not to be running z/OS.

> Your point about TRANSMIT, is still valid; although isn't this the case
> for anything requiring pre-processing before FTP (Zipping files,
> encrypting, etc.)?

Not necessarily.  Long ago, I was familiar with the WUSTL FTP server,
which embedded such pre-processing, much as TSO TRANSMIT embeds
IEBCOPY.  If I knew of a directory-path and said

    GET directory-path.tar.Z

... it would dynamically archive and compress the directory for
transmission.  This allowed serving multiple formats (e.g. .tar,
.tar.Z, .tar.gz, .zip) while storing only a single copy of the
data.  (I don't know what it might do if a mischievous, greedy,
or ignorant user did GET filesystem-root.tar.Z.)

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL