My public thanks to a list member who provided some current numbers
privately.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Charles Mills
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 10:24 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Anyone have a good guess as to current number of z or 390 shops?

I know IBM does not generally publish numbers, but does anyone have a good
working guess they can share with me on the number of organizations
worldwide using Z or 390 boxes? Something to the nearest thousand would be
great.

Alternatively, I could live with the number of organizations in the US only,
or the number of installations (as opposed to organizations). Or OS/390 and
z/OS numbers as opposed to box numbers including VM and VSE.

It's for a presentation to software people who are not familiar with our
box. It's not the point of the presentation -- it's just for a "no, the
mainframe is not dead" slide that is a footnote to the presentation's main
point, which has nothing to do with choice of platforms.