This has been discussed here and other places back when Google first came to
prominence and claimed to be running their search engine on a bunch of PCs
sitting on rickety tables.

It all comes back to the strengths of the mainframe, and IMHO they are not
what Google needs or wants. It's not all that important to Google or its
customers if one query here or there fails, or times out, or produces
results inconsistent with the same query done a moment later.

That Google's code might port quite easily to z boxes doesn't mean they'd be
able to run what they have to, or that the price would be sensible. Just
look at mainframe memory and disk prices: IBM dropped ram to "only"
$US8000/GB or so on the z9; what do you suppose Google is paying at the
moment for Intel memory? I know I pay around $100 for my home machines, and
I imagine they do just a bit better than that...

Similarly, much of the mainframe cost advantage is predicated on zillions of
Windows boxes sitting on desktops with idle CPUs, whereas I imagine Google's
Intels are kept very busy. It may well be easy to set up lots of Linux
images on a z9, but they're not going to keep up with Linux images running
one per Intel chip.

I'd love to see it fly, but I'm not hopeful.

Tony H.