There's another thread running re: the New York Times article about
mainframe and SOA, but I thought I'd fill in some more details.  IBM held
a meeting with major analysts and the press last week to brief them on new
Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) initiatives concerning the mainframe.
One analyst, James Governor, is reporting on this meeting, lead by IBM
Software Chief Steve Mills, at the Mainframe Blog:

http://mainframe.blogspot.com

I also found this press release:

http://www.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/19620.wss

The press release contains some interesting new information:

* IBM expects mainframe transactions "to easily double" within 43 months.
Wow.  With news like that I can forgive the split infinitive. :-)

* More than 1,700 customers run Linux on mainframes.  (Rumor has it
there's a single customer with close to 300 IFLs!)

* More than 60 percent of IBM mainframe revenues are "new workloads"
(Linux, Java, SOA, etc.)

* First public mention (that I've seen) of the forthcoming IBM Tivoli
Federated Identity Manager ("FIM") for z/OS product, continuing the trend
for security-conscious enterprises (all of them?) to position the
mainframe as the "security hub."

* The press release mentions "IBM IT architects" at least twice and
something about no-cost consultations.  Meaning we IBM architects may be
busy.  Not so often one's personal potential workload appears so
explicitly in a press release, but there it is. :-)

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]