From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Steve Flynn
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 8:03 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: HSM and GDG all requests

On 10/05/06, Mark Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have in the past couple of weeks had users perform a HRECALL on a
GDG
> base entry. This causes all migrated datasets to be recalled. This is
> causing havoc with out storage groups.
>
> Is there any reason why the following wouldn't work.
>
> Use an IEFDB401 Dynamic Allocation Parameter Validation Exit to
perform
> the following checks
>
> 1)       Is it a GDG ALL Request? (Using IGGCSI00 catalog search
> interface)
>
> 2)       No. Allow request
>
> 3)       Is JOBNAME == HSM
>
> 4)       Yes. Deny request.
>
> 5)       Else allow request.

What happens when a batch job wants to alloc an entire GDG base and
then read all the generations, via a straightforward

//GDGBASE  DD DSN=SOME.GDG.BASE,DISP=SHR

Will that get past your exit and be allowed? In this case the
recalling user will be the userid the job is running under and
therefore will be denied according to your pseudocode, wont it?

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...