This Write - I/O - error most likely resulted from a dirty red/write head on the
tape drive. On my system with rather finicky 3590 - drives, usually a SWAP will
be successful and that will allow the process to finish. Our operators usually
handle the swap correctly.
IMHO, you should instruct your operators to reply YES and make a note of the
tape VOLSER. If the same VOLSER comes up for another swap on the new drive,
reply NO, as this very well might be a physically bad tape cartridge.
If you don't have operators, or if they don't respond in a timely fashion, you
might want to consider turning off the SWAP function (put a "SWAP OFF" command
into PARMLIB member IEACMDxx or COMMNDxx or enter it as a console command).
That'll blow the tape right out of the drive, without operator intervention and
without loss of time.

Regards,
Ulrich Krueger
Mainframe Systems Services