Bill,

I agree its a size thing, but the ironic bit is that the creating of these tables is usually a waste of time as the size of the zseries complex increases.

Why? Well, this internal representation of the IO config that is maintained by ESCM is only really used if you want to use ESCM to do some of the more complex stuff, such as issuing commands (via ESCM) to config chps offline across various LPARS. Its a nice concept, there's even one command that will (in theory!) vary offline all the paths to a director from all processors, and then take the director offline. Great, except that as the number of LPARS increase (and the complexity of your ioconfig), the likelyhood of one of the systems rejecting the command also increases (almost a certainty in my experience), and then the whole command fails... so you end up doing it manually!..Bottom line is I've never seen any of these commands used in anger. Even smaller sites might struggle to use these advanced commands.

If you only use ESCM to update/query the director details , ie port name, matrix, then none of the 'internal' database built by ESCM is really relevant. It just issues the CCWs direct to the director CUP..

So the bigger your ioconfig, the more cycles you burn at startup, and the less likely you are of making use of the info. What a waste!

Regards

Roy