-- snip --
I am new to this shop, and it is my first time working with FDR, I am
familiar with DFSMS and have just finished reading the FDR manuals  (I only
fell asleep a few times.).  Currently I am trying to understand this new
environment, how and why things are setup the way they are.

My question of the day is....

What/where does DFSMS check for a dataset backup prior to migrating a
dataset?

I thought that DFSMS looked in the BCDS to verify that it had a good backup
of the dataset prior to migrating the dataset to tape.  However that must
not be the case, we use FDR for backup and HSM for migration here without
running HSM backups, and datasets migrate.  If FDR backup hasn't run on a
dataset it won't migrate, and the error is there is no valid backup.

Once FDR backs up the dataset HSM is able to migrate the dataset, what is
HSM looking at to validate it has a good backup prior to migration?

-- snip --

I'm confused as to why you have both FDR and HSM managing your data!

My guess is that the DS1DSIND field in the format 1 DSCB is being checked
for a valid backup (DS1DSCHA).

John