This is actually an interesting one to investigate - despite the
background.[1]

"EMS" is the prefix for NetView Access Services (NVAS). However EMSSYS04 is
not a message number as can be verified by checking the NVAS Messages manual
on shelf
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/EMS0BK03

This looks like it could be a standard TN3270 logon panel when there is no
USS message support. Whatever happened before, it appears the resulting
output may be from NVAS and it presents a "return code", RCODE, (which is
not a token in any of the manuals on the NVAS shelf).

The text suggest checking CS IP message EZZ6035I for details of the return
code - actually this is clear only in hindsight having puzzled over it a
bit. In the CS IP Messages manual (vol. 4) EZZ6035I is actually followed by
the text "TELNET DEBUG" and then a string of annotated codes in a number of
formats. One of the codes is described as RCODE and "return code" 2034 has
the following - supposed - explanation:

<quote>

2034 Specified maximum ReqSess attempts exceeded.

The connection appears to be in a CLSDST PASS loop. The number of Request
Session attempts in a 10 second period exceeded the number specified on the
MAXREQSESS statement or the default. PARM1 contains the limit value in
hexadecimal. The count is incremented when a BIND is received from the host
application.

</quote>

Here's the description of MAXREQSESS from the CS IP Configuration Reference
manual:

<quote>

2.8.2.22 MAXREQSESS

The MAXREQSESS parameter statement limits the number of session requests
received by Telnet in a 10-second period. For this parameter, a BIND
received by Telnet defines a session request. If the number of BINDs
received in a 10-second period exceeds the limit, the connection is dropped
and an error is reported.

Telnet is initialized with a MAXREQSESS value of 20.

</quote>

Could this be NVAS attempting to "pass" to itself?

Chris Mason

[1] I found Joel Ewing's post only in Google Groups so I'll copy it here
since it deserves to be seen by those who see only e-mail.

<quote>

It means you are attempting to gain access to a system you are not
authorized to use.  If you were authorized, you would have received
instructions about what this screen means and what responses you should
give.

If you persist, you will draw attention to yourself - hope you know a good
defense lawyer.

If there's anyone out there who hasn't already figured it out from his prior
posts, this individual is obvious looking for someone naive enough to give
him clues about how to hack in to some site supporting TN3270. It is clear
from the kinds of questions he is asking he has only the vaguest concept of
what TN3270 is other than it usually involves
mainframes; and equally obvious that he has never been given any instruction
on proper use of any TN3270 application, so there are unlikely to be any
TN3270 sites he is legally entitled to use.

</quote>