I'm sure that two escon channels would greatly speed up your backups. I had a similar experience at P&H Mining around 2000. We got 4 3490E drives, and 1 controller with 2 escon channel interfaces. That was 16 transports for 2 channels. I think the backups actually took longer than with 24 3480 transports, with 2 parallel channels for each 6 transports. I quickly realized that we didn't have enough channels. After getting 1 more controller with 2 more channels, the backups took about half the time.

Looking back, I should have gotten 2 more controllers. When monitoring the pack backups with RMF, the channels were 100% busy, showing lots of delays on the tape drives. I'm sure another escon channel will make your backups take half the time or slightly more.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434

Hi listers,

I have a customer who backs up a data amount of about 500 GB with 2 Jobs
each day on a 2-drives-3590 with DSS. Because of data growth, he has now
problems with his batch window. His 3590 (A50/B11) is connected to his R36
by one escon channel. During the backup the channel is completely busy. I
have thought about a quick method to drop down the backup time by connecting
a second channel. Is this possible and would this help him. He has
experienced, if he runs only one job at a time, the backup time of this
single job is significantly faster. Therefore I assume, that a second
channel could help him.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

Franz Josef Pohlen