By the same stroke, I was at a shop where programmers were forced to use the regular ISPF/PDF interface. Watching them work was excruciatingly painful. They had about 120 programmers, which (at a conservative estimate of $100,000 annual cost per programmer), would have cost the company at least TWELVE MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR! When you're talking about numbers as big as this, anything that can be done to improve productivity pays ENORMOUS dividends.

For five thousand dollars (i.e. about 0.04% of that amount, or 5% of the cost of hiring a single new programmer), they could have given their programmers a far more powerful interface. This would have taken less than an hour to do, and would have made all of their programmers roughly 10% more productive. Do the math.

Even for a shop with only 1 programmer, upgrading the ISPF/PDF interface should be a no-brainer. Yet there are many companies out there who still use the same basic interface their programmers were using in the 1980's. And this is only one example of how companies can same vast amounts of money. It's why I contend that NOT buying tools wastes far more money than is ever wasted by buying them.
IMHO, its not so simple. You are assuming that by installing such a tool, it would automatically and enthusiastically be used by all or most of those programmers. Personally I find that inertia is a major factor. We are a relatively small development shop, so we don't spend on external software without a good reason. We have a variety of tools to enhance our ISPF experience, some from CBT and other sources (e.g., the PDS command), some home-grown, but in my experience only a small percentage of our programmers make effective use of them. Many can't be bothered to take the time to learn to use the tools and would rather "get on with the job" even if it means more work in the long run. Use of a new or enhanced environment often requires education, periodic re-education (to remind them of the functions they never took time to learn) and proselytizing by some cadre of proponents.
--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR