We can't afford the bandwidth to have a DISK/SAN offsite to do backups for DR and we really don't have that much production DASD (1.5-2 TB of production data).

If you are backing up to DISK/SAN on site what do you do for DR? If you site is damaged: fire, water, earthquake, plane, ect. Then backup is damaged, no DR.

Although DISK/SAN may seem cheaper than tape, the bandwidth needed to move the data from one site to another may not be so cheap.

Chantal wrote:
Hi all,

I thought the answer to this question was extremely simple, until we
discussed this in my "Introduction to z/OS" class today.  I always felt
that backing up to a disk device would be inefficient, much more
expensive and more likely to fail when compared to tape.  However after
a classmate brought it up, I wonder now if it might be good to do at
least some backup to a SAN.

How do you folks feel about this topic?  Is it best to stick with all
tape, all disk or a mixture of the two?  Are companies continuing to
use tape because they have already invested so much money in silos,
etc?  I know there won't be one right answer for every organization,
but I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Chantal